If you've already taken our test and determined you are stuck in your life, the good news is that you have just made the first step toward changing the status quo. You understand you are stuck and once you have come to that realization, it's probably a safe bet that life as you know it will not be acceptable to you any longer.
So now the question becomes what can you do about it? What if you just don't know what to do about the fact that you don't know how to make your life better or more fulfilling? That's okay, most of us don't know what to do to make a change. And this is why there is a $9.6 billion industry centered around "self help" including books, CDs, workshops, webinars, retreats, tours, coaches, etc.
So here are 7 steps you can take to begin on a transformational path:
1. Get A Book. There is a "self help" section in the bookstore for a reason. Pick up a book from Barnes & Noble or Amazon or take one out of the library. Go spend an afternoon in the bookstore if you want, get your favorite coffee, and start flipping through some books and see if there is one in particular that speaks to you before you buy it. Getting a book about transforming your life in some way is a wonderful first step in figuring out how to move forward because you can do it at your own pace and in the privacy of your own home.
2. Attend A Talk Or Workshop. It's a pretty good bet that you can find some sort of talk or workshop in your community. Ranging from a couple of hours to a full-day event, a weekend, or week-long workshop, the self-help or transformational gurus like Tony Robbins, Jack Canfield, Deepak Chopra, Hay House, and many others offer a wide variety of talks and workshops where you don't have to do anything but listen to what they say. Or you can participate in something much more interactive where you can do exercises that help you more closely identify what is missing in your life and what you really want.
3. Take An Online Webinar. If being out in public as you figure yourself out is akin to having root canal, then the beauty of the Internet is that you can sign up for many online webinars and simply watch in your PJs from the comfort of your home as coaches present ideas to you about what it takes to transform your life. Many coaches have complimentary introductory webinars to see if you like what they are all about before committing to something at cost. And it's okay if you don't like this person or that person -- not everyone's style is universally appealing.
4. Watch Something Inspirational on TV. Spend a Sunday morning watching Oprah's "Super Soul Sunday" on the OWN channel. Every week she has thought leaders on who talk about spirituality and issues about living a more awakened or better life. They are definitely worth DVRing if you spend your Sunday in church or sleeping late. You might find you really like what one of her guests has to say and then you can buy their book or take it out of the library. Another option is to watch your local PBS channel. Quite often they repeat older presentations from the late Dr. Wayne Dyer who is a renowned transformation guru and other thought leaders. Dr. Dyer is the one who coined the phrase "When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at will change."
5. Get Away From It All. Go take yourself on a mini-vacation where you can get away and think ALONE. This is not the time to party and drink cocktails at an all-inclusive resort with your friends. Your goal is to just sit by a lake or by the ocean and reflect on what it is you want in your life. If you need a little help, there are many retreat centers like Kripalu, Esalen, or the Omega Institute which have special weekends and workshops geared for everything from Yoga weekends to couples retreats, feeling better after illness, writing retreats, and much more. But the idea is that this is not a party vacation -- it's working on yourself time and you need to get away alone to be able to focus on yourself.
6. Begin A New Practice. Start meditating. Take Yoga. Learn Pilates. Do something that is quiet, spiritual, something you haven't done before, and helps you focus on going inside and getting in touch with yourself. Many people swear by meditation as it helps them to quiet their mind listen to their inner thoughtts. Yoga and Pilates make people feel better as well and that often helps transform other areas of their life.
7. Start A Journal. Buy yourself a really pretty journal or notebook that is yours alone and start journaling. Do it first thing in the morning or just before you go to sleep when the world in your house is quiet and you can be thoughtful. Start writing questions for yourself or just random thoughts. Noted writer and writing coach Julia Cameron advises writers to do "Morning Pages" which is handwriting three pages nonstop that are a stream of consciousness and help get the chatter out of your mind. But this is a great practice for everyone who has those voices talk to them nonstop during the day that they are not good enough or stupid or just don't shut up!
Life is really short and you want to make sure that your journey here is one that makes you happy because depending upon your spiritual beliefs, you may not pass through life again. If you spend your days unhappy, unfulfilled, or wishing for something more, then one simple step like the ideas above can make a world of difference in your life.